Recipe by ChefAndy
I found this recipe a few years ago in New Orleans. Everyone who has ever tasted this soup say it's the best they have ever tried. You can omit the chicken and use vegetable broth instead to make it vegetarian and it's just as good. This makes alot of soup...you will need at least a 10 qt. pot. Freezes well.
Top Review by AcworthCook
Excellent soup. Very good homemade taste. The longer this cooks the better. Cook at least 3 hours (longer if possible). This makes a lot of soup and could easily server 8 - 10. I will save this one and make it again.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, coarsley chopped
- 3 stalks celery, coarsley chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1/2 inch dice (or bnls sknls chicken breasts)
- 6 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth (or 12 cups homemade)
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, rough chop
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 2 large red potatoes, large dice
- 1⁄2 small cabbage, shredded
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 2 small yellow squash, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 small turnip, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup broccoli floret (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine or 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup picante sauce (not salsa!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet (for color)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Saute onion, celery, garlic and chicken until chicken is browned and vegetables are soft.
- Add chicken broth and vegetables stirring after each addition.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for at least 3 hours.
- Note: If you prefer, add 2 cups of cooked Orzo pasta 5 minutes before serving.