Recipe by smellyvegetarian
This is such a bizarre dish, but it is utter comfort food for me. I would have never thought to put mashed potatoes and peanut butter in one casserole...mmmmm.
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
A really, really tasty and (virtuously) vegan shepherd's pie recipe! The peanut butter and garbanzo bean combo was ingenious! I used crunchy, natural peanut butter, added 1/2 teaspoon salt and used Vege-sal for the seasoned salt. Instead of onion powder I used 1 tablespoon of dried onion flakes because I had it on hand. Otherwise no changes. Although it takes a bit of time for the boiling and baking part, the actual assembly was a breeze and was well worth the time. My only suggestion is to add some carrots too for the vitamin A, making it a complete meal in itself:D BF really liked it too. I think this will become a staple in my house!
- 4 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup water (saved from boiling potatoes)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (I usually use more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups garbanzo beans
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter (crunchy is best!)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potates in a pan and add water to cover. Boil 15-20 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 c liquid. Mash with liquid, salt, and onion powder.
- Combine beans, corn, and peas in a 9-inch pie pan.
- Whisk together peanut butter, water, and seasoned salt until smooth. Pour over veggies, and top with potatoes.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.