Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Better H&G magazine. I have been making it for nearly 30 years...since my children were babies! (where did the years go....) It is a MUST at family dinners, always on the table at Thanksgiving and Christmas! My daughters are vegetarians, and they request it often. A great choice for meals where babies and toddlers are at the table, as you can save back some of the vegetable mixture for those who don't like onions yet!
- Cook an equal amount of carrots and potatoes.
- Saute one large onion in LOTS of butter.
- Mash together the carrots and potatoes.
- Add onions, and 1-2 cups cheese (we use cheddar or mixture of cheddar/jack) If it seems a bit dry, add a bit of yogurt.
- Bake at 350* for approximately 30 minutes in a deep baking dish, or in a 10 x 13 pan.
I made this last night to serve with leftover roast beef. I decided to shred the beef and make a shepherd's pie and use the leftover potatoes and carrots in place of mashed potatoes. I just needed to boil a few more potatoes and carrots to top my dish. I followed the directions on the recipe with the addition of some chopped parsley and it was wonderful. It would make a great side dish for Thanksgiving... it's a beautiful color.