Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This vegetable sauce is a practical dish for vegetarians, vegans and for those who observe Lent.
Make and share this Vegetable Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots (peeled)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 stalks green onions or 2 stalks scallions
- 1 teaspoon basil (minced)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper (berbere)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and black pepper
- Clean, rinse and chop the vegetables.
- In a big cooking pan, mix all ingredients together except salt and black.
- Cook it for 15 minutes.
- Add black pepper and salt to taste; cook for five minutes; remove from heat.
- P.S. The sauce could be used with rice; for garnishing baked fish or meat and as a dipping sauce.
A nice flavourful mixture and easy to make. We nearly followed the recipe - we didn't have all the vegetables or tomato sauce. We used it as the vegetable dish with roast lamb.