Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a spicy pungent flavoured side dish or can be used as a filling for samosas.
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup peeled and finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large frying pan and add the ghee, potatoes, garlic, onion and ginger.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes to sweat the potatoes down.
- Stir a few times.
- Don’t brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue cooking, covered until the potatoes and peas are tender.
- I use this as a side dish -- or you can buy eggroll wrappers -- fill them and deep fry till golden -- very nice.
I added ground corriander and cumin which gave it a REAL flavour punch! And Caynne pepper which gave it a kick. Don't be afraid to add more of all the spices, in my opinion you can't have too much flavour in a samosa! They were soooo popular at my Tupperware party that I was asked to make them for a friends farwell too. I put them in puff pastry tringles...a little fiddly but very impressive looking!
This was my first attempt at making samosas and I used this filling in premade wrappers and it was very tasty. I had trouble getting the potatoes to cook until they were tender without them browning. I may try boiling the potatoes a bit before adding them to the pan to cut down on cooking time which took almost half an hour. I served the samosas with Recipe#64600.
Loved this, and it did taste like samosa filling (though I made some changes). I looked at some other samosa recipes and decided on the following: to add 1/2 teaspoon each mustard seeds, cumin seeds and ground coriander, plus a pinch of cayenne pepper; use canola oil to make it healthier (and only 1/2 tablespoon); and add broth, until the moistness resembled the right consistency (5 tablespoons). This also helped to make up for the decrease in oil. I thought the flavor was super and enjoyed every bite!