Recipe by ellie_
Recipe source: TeaTime
Top Review by Ppaperdoll
I made these for 'zaar tag, but I have to sheepishly admit that I made several changes. I used red onion rather than scallions, mostly red pepper and a little green (not yellow), and I had to leave out the parsley because I didn't have any. Oh, and I used white bread too. But, volume-wise, I think I used the same amount of veggies for the mix as the recipe called for. That said, I found that the mixture was very sloppy. I suggest leaving the crusts on the bread, or even better, using hamburger buns or maybe pita bread. I liked these sandwiches though, messy as they were! A nice alternative to the usual egg salad sandwich, and great to make if you don't have any meat or cheese on hand, but plenty of salad veg. Thanks Ellie, for sharing the recipe! Oh, and best of all, my kids really liked the mixture.
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 2 scallions
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- watercress leaf (optional)
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop cucumer and scallions and transfer to bowl.
- Half and seed peppers, then chop and add to cucumber/scallion mixture.
- Add mayonnaise, creme fraiche (or sour cream), parsley, salt and pepper to filling and mix well to combine.
- Spread bread with butter and then divide filling between 4 of the slices of bread, adding watercress (if using), top with remiaing bread. Cut sandwiches into triangles.