Recipe by Chocolatl
This is somewhat unusual in that the vegetables are cooked in the dressing, then chilled. Adapted from McCall's Cooking School. Cook time includes cooking and chilling time.
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided (use olive oil if you prefer)
- 3 medium onions, peeled and sliced (3/4 pound total)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large green peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch long strips (3/4 pound total)
- 2 summer squash, sliced (3/4 pound total)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced (1 pound total)
- chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of oil and heat until very hot.
- Add peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until pepper is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining oil and heat until very hot.
- Add squash and cook, stirring frequently, until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Return onions and green peppers to skillet.
- Stir in basil, coriander, bay leaf, salt, pepper, lemon juice and wine. Mix well.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Spread tomatoes on top of mixture.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Gently place mixture in a shallow serving dish.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Toss lightly and sprinkle with parsley just before serving.