Recipe by cricketbird
This recipe has always been a given at large family dinners and the holidays. It seems very rich to taste, but the 'sauce' that the vegetables are in, is actually half the vegetables pureed. It's been a keeper of ours for years. The salt called for was in the recipe, I reduced that to 1/4 tsp.
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
- 2 cups turnips or 2 cups rutabagas, peeled, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- cook potatoes, turnips and carrots in boiling water until tender.
- In medium bowl, place half of the potatoes and turnips, and all of the carrots aside.
- Preheat oven to 325. Melt 2 teaspoons of butter.
- Add onion and cook until soft.
- In food processor, puree the remaining potatoes and turnips.
- Remove to a bowl.
- Add remaining 1/4 butter, egg, chives, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in reserved potatoes, turnips, carrots, and onion.
- Spoon mixture into 2 quart baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes until lightly browned.