Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just came up with this one from some stuff lying around the house. It turned out to be tasty, so I decided to share it with you. Let me know what you think!
- 1 cup risotto rice (don't substitute regular rice!)
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup peas (thawed if frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons red pesto sauce (fresh if possible)
- parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Begin by melting the butter in a large saucepan or wok.
- Add the onion and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the pepper to the onion and fry for another two or three minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Add the rice and stir to coat.
- The rice grains should turn from cloudy to clear.
- Begin adding the bouillon, about 1/4 cup at a time.
- It's important to keep stirring, as the rice will absorb the liquid quickly and could burn if left unattended.
- After about 10 minutes, add the chopped tomato and the zucchini.
- After 20 minutes add the mushrooms.
- Continue to add bouillon when the rice has absorbed it.
- After about 25 minutes add the peas.
- The bouillon should be just about up by now.
- The rice usually takes about 25-30 minutes to finish cooking.
- To test for doneness, take a bite.
- It could be a bit chewy, but shouldn't be really hard.
- After the bouillon has been used up and the rice is done, stir in the pesto.
- Mix well.
- You can add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mixing in some extra grated parmesan makes the rice a bit creamier.
- Top with a bit of parmesan, if desired.
- Serve with a nice crusty bread.
- For Vegetarian use the Vegetable Stock.
Risotto is a big stand by food for colitis flares, so we're always looking for new ways to eat it. This was lovely and smelled so good -- I used vegetarian broth, non-dairy alternatives and no mushrooms.
Very tasty! Easy to put together and cooks up quickly. I added a pic of it too.