Recipe by Dawn
Last call for that delicious summer produce! This dish is low fat,low cholesterol, and tasty. Your friends who have gardens will love you too. Don't be shy when they offer you plastic bags full of zucchini and squash, now you have a recipe for them.
Top Review by vengefulspectre
This dish struck me as somewhat bland -- a good side dish, but I made it as the main event and wasn't entirely satisfied. It should serve as a robust side dish, however, especially with a strong-flavored meat entrÃ©e.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow squash
- 1 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper for 3 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Heat chicken broth in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and then place on low heat.
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan, then add onions.
- Sauté onions for about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and coat with olive oil, onion mixture.
- Add wine/water and stir until almost all liquid is absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of hot broth and stir until absorbed, continue to add the broth 1/2 cup at a time, allowing the broth to absorb before each addition.
- Continue to stir.
- This takes about 20 minutes.
- After liquid is absorbed, remove from heat and stir in cheese, add steamed vegetables and serve.