Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
"Comfort heaven in a bowl for rice lovers" is what I would call this. The aroma and presentation of this makes you want to eat it even more;) I halved this recipe and made it for lunch this afternoon. I did use Sunflower cooking oil wherever oil was called for. I used 1/4 cup of vermicelli. As for water, I used 2 cups(since I felt the rice required 3 cups water+broth in total to cook since it also had veggies in it). I used 1 cube of Maggi vegetable broth with onions where the boullion cube was called for. This rice took exactly 40 minutes to cook in my pre-heated oven on CONVEC mode. I had pre-heated my oven to 180C and I cooked this at 180C for 40 minutes. I garnished this with some fresh finely chopped parsley - it gave a beautiful hint of green colour as well as its fantastic flavour to this dish. My kitchen and my living-cum-dining room smelt like we were in rice paradise! I love this rice and so does my mom. Thank you so much for an incredible unique rice recipe. I call it "unique" because this is the first time, I think, that I am using vermicelli in a rice recipe to make a rice dish. Normally, I use vermicelli to make vermicelli pudding. So, this was something special and went very well at my home! Thanks again for sharing! This is one rice dish I will repeat quite often!
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 80 pieces thin spaghetti, broken into 1/2 inch pieces, smaller if desired
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 5 baby carrots, chopped fine
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed and chopped fine
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (or vegetable)
- 1 -2 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- First you will need to get out a 3 or 4 quart casserole or baking dish that has a lid.
- Take 1 of the 3 tablespoons of butter, and rub it along the inside of your dish.
- Add uncooked rice and set aside.
- In a pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter, and add spaghetti pieces and toss occasionally until nice and brown.
- Do not burn them!
- but allow them to get nice and brown; Add to rice.
- In same pan, add olive oil, and heat over medium high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery to pan and saute for approx 7-8 minutes until all are slightly tender.
- Add mixture to dish with rice and vermicelli.
- Put vegetable broth and water in a saucepan and heat until slightly boiling.
- Add bouillon cubes and turn down heat, stirring until cubes dissolve completely.
- Pour broth mixture over rice and vegetables and stir through.
- Add bay leaf.
- Cover with lid, and put in your preheated oven.
- You will need to cook this approximately 40-55 minutes, depending on your oven.
- (I say this, because when I came up with this dish I was at school and it took 50-55 minutes and here at home it took about 45 minutes) Please watch after 40 minutes.
- Broth will absorb and rice should be soft.
- Remove from oven and let sit, covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid, and remove bay leaves.