Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is one of my favorite soup recipes that I cook for my family during Lent.
- 1 tomatoes (seeded, diced)
- 2 scallions (chopped) or 2 green onions (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled, chopped)
- 1 cup cauliflower (cut into small florets)
- 1 sweet pepper (seeded and diced)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white rice
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil (diced)
- 1 zucchini (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh parsley (diced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh garlic (minced)
- 6 cups water or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In cooking pot, sauté carrots, celery, scallion, cauliflower with 2 tablespoon of oil and garlic till tender.
- Add the vegetable stock or water; 2 tablespoons of oil and boil it for 5 minutes.
- To the boiling vegetables, add rice, zucchini, sweet pepper, basil and parsley.
- In a medium heat, cook the soup for 45 minutes; add black pepper and salt.
- Serve it hot.
- P.S. if you are not on Lent or a vegan, you may add cream or plain yogurt. If you prefer spicy soup, you may add chili powder (berbere) or tabasco.
This is a delicious healthy recipe! It was a hit with my family and we all enjoyed it. I added broccoli instead of cauliflower, substituted 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil instead of fresh basil. I used 8 cups of water with 3 knorrs vegetable bouillon cubes and I used 1/2 cup of rice. I probably would cook the rice separate next time because mine started falling apart. Thanks for the amazing recipe!
I made this recipe as one of my three Pick A Chef recipes. for yewoinfamilycooking Undiscovered chef. Excellent soup so rich in flavor & vegetables. Very healthy recipe We really enjoyed it