Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 10 mins
Delicious. Can be made a day ahead and reheated.
- 2 lbs short rib of beef
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 quarts water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen mixed vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth
- Place short ribs, water and seasonings in large pot.
- Cover and cook slowly for one hour. Skim off fat and cook another hour.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Remove short ribs from soup, cut off meat and dice.
- Add diced meat, green pepper, onion, sugar, tomatoes, and rice.
- Cook 45 minutes.
- Add frozen mixed vegetables and cook another 15 minutes.
- Add can of beef broth and cook another 10 minutes.
My Mom always made her soup with short ribs. This soup was pretty good. I few things different. Added more seasoning plus when I reheated it I added a can of tomato sauce with garlic because I missed that taste in the soup. Thanks LizCl. Bullwinkle.