Found in a torn out recipe from a magazine but I don't know which one now. I love the flavors of this side dish and have tweaked it based on what veggie is fresh or in season. In place of the asparagus I have used snow peas or just used more zucchini and carrots if I could not find nice asparagus.
- 354.88 ml chicken broth, low-fat, low sodium, no MSG
- 158.51 ml uncooked long grain
- 59.14 ml sweet onion, finely chopped
- 44.37 ml butter
- 236.59 ml fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 158.51 ml zucchini, julienned
- 158.51 ml carrot, julienned
- 314.66 ml fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1.23 ml dried basil
- 158.51 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh ground pepper
- Pour broth into a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add rice and reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, zucchini and carrot; saute for 3-5 minutes longer or until they are crisp tender. Add asparagus and basil, cook; uncovered over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes or until asparagus is crisp tender.
- In a serving bowl, combine the rice, veggie mixture, Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.