Recipe by HokiesMom
Found in a torn out recipe from a magazine but I don't know which one now. I love the flavors of this side dish and have tweaked it based on what veggie is fresh or in season. In place of the asparagus I have used snow peas or just used more zucchini and carrots if I could not find nice asparagus.
Top Review by breezermom
This is a side dish that can go with anything! Or even be a meal in itself....loaded with wonderful flavors and colors. I loved that you could taste each vegetables individual flavor because they weren't overshadowed by spices or soy sauce. Delicious! Made for Photo Tag. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, low-fat, low sodium, no MSG
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked long grain
- 1⁄4 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup zucchini, julienned
- 2⁄3 cup carrot, julienned
- 1 1⁄3 cups fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour broth into a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add rice and reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, zucchini and carrot; saute for 3-5 minutes longer or until they are crisp tender. Add asparagus and basil, cook; uncovered over medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes or until asparagus is crisp tender.
- In a serving bowl, combine the rice, veggie mixture, Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately.