Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Easy Kosher Cooking by Rosalyn Manesse. Posted for ZWT II '06
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- Heat oil and add vegetables.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice. Add water, salt and pepper and marjoram.
- Bring to boil, lower heat, cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
Simple and easy way to serve rice. Two side dishes in one. I used vegetable stock in lieu of water to give the rice even more flavor, and use basmati rice. I'll be keeping this in rotation. Thanks!
Made this for PAC 2007. Used basmati rice and it was cooked in about 15 minutes. Didn't have any fresh tomatoes, so used dried tomatoes. This was a wonderful side dish to grilled chicken. Thanks Cynna!
A good basic rice dish. As I normally do, I used brown rice and increased the cooking time accordingly. Made this with fresh green peppers and tomatoes from the garden.