Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great for Christmas gifts, or just to have around for quick dinner side dishes. Posted in reply to a request.
- 4 cups instant rice (Minute)
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) package vegetable soup mix (Lipton or Knorr)
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried sweet red peppers or 2 tablespoons green peppers
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients.
- ;mix well.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.
- TO PREPARE RICE: In a saucepan, combine water, butter, and 1 cup rice mix.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Darlene, you are more observant than I am. You are absolutely right about the amount of water. Instant rice is a one-to-one ratio, one cup rice, one cup water. This was an error in the cookbook I got the recipe from. Thanks for catching it. I submitted a correction.
I give this a one star rating only because I could not find celery flakes and substituted celery seed. The two cups of water to one cup of rice mix was far too much water. After 25 minutes of simmering the water was still not absorbed. We thought perhaps regular rice would have been more appropriate to use than the minute rice. I did not particularly enjoy the flavour and am truly glad I tried it before I gave it out as a "home-made gift". I will be throwing the rest of this mixture out. Sorry I could not be more positive.
I decided to try this before making it for gifts. I really enjoyed the flavors. It was very easy to make and looked nice too. Thanks for a good rice dish.