Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a slightly modified version of a recipe that I got out of a Taste of Home - Home Style Cooking magazine. It is a great recipe for using that little bit of left over rice and is quick and easy to make. The yield on this recipe is for 2 large servings.
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium chopped fresh tomato
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup frozen English peas
- 1⁄4 cup chopped yellow peppers (optional) or 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper (optional)
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the rice and onion in oil until rice is lightly browned.
- Add tomato, pepper, water and salt; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in peas and heat through.
This was good, I didnt have any leftover rice, so I had to make some. I served it as a side dish w/pork chops and sauteed squash and zucchini. I didn't have peas, so I made it w/o, next time I make this I will make sure I have the peas.
This was pretty good. I thought it was a tad bland, but will probably make it again and add some spices. I had the heat up too high and the rice stuck to the pan. Next time I will keep the heat down more. A good side with grilled chicken.