Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A wonderful side dish full of flavor.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 -3 tablespoon onion soup mix or 1 -3 tablespoon vegetable soup mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen corn or 2 cups frozen peas or 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- In a saucepan, combine the rice,water,soup mix and salt; bring to a boil.
- Add the vegetables; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook until rice and vegetables are tender.
The first time I made this, I followed the recipe to a T but I did not like it. The onion soup mix was too overpowering. I made it a second time and I substituded the soup mix for 2 tablespoons Knorrs vegetable instant stock mix. What a difference! It was so much better with the instant stock.
I'm sorry - I hate giving low ratings/bad reviews but neither my other half nor I liked this at all. We did sub white rice for brown, but I think the flavour killer for us was actually the onion soup mix. I've never cooked with soup mix before and, who knows, maybe I picked up a naturally horrible flavoured brand, or maybe we just don't like onion soup mix and don't realise it, but either way I'm afraid this went right in the bin after a couple of mouthfuls.
I prepared this delicious rice dish using brown long grain rice and it still tasted just great. The onion adds a wonderful flavour. It took closer to an hour by the time the rice was tender. Thanks for a great dish!