Recipe by Babs7
One of my mom's famous recipes - she made this quite often growing up. An excellent side dish with chicken.
Top Review by Ginny Sue
Brought back memories of my childhood! Great combination of ingredients to add flavor to plain rice. I added a chopped carrot with the other veggies because I just can't resist adding more veggies to things. Must be the "Mom" in me! I used slightly less water and cooked the rice longer, about 25 minutes.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, finely chopped
- 3 cups uncooked rice
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 quarts hot water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large deep skillet or dutch oven (at least 3 quart size).
- Add onion, celery, green pepper and rice and cook over medium heat until rice is browned and vegetable are softened.
- Stir occasionally.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in hot water and add to rice mixture when rice is browned.
- Cover pan and cook over low heat.
- Stir occasionally and add more water if softer rice is desired. Cook for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.