Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One of my mom's famous recipes - she made this quite often growing up. An excellent side dish with chicken.
- Melt butter in a large deep skillet or dutch oven (at least 3 quart size).
- Add onion, celery, green pepper and rice and cook over medium heat until rice is browned and vegetable are softened.
- Stir occasionally.
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in hot water and add to rice mixture when rice is browned.
- Cover pan and cook over low heat.
- Stir occasionally and add more water if softer rice is desired. Cook for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Brought back memories of my childhood! Great combination of ingredients to add flavor to plain rice. I added a chopped carrot with the other veggies because I just can't resist adding more veggies to things. Must be the "Mom" in me! I used slightly less water and cooked the rice longer, about 25 minutes.