Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 mins
Vegetarian Express—Nava Atlas, Lillian Kayte
- 1 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1 cup diced fresh tomato
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese (can use reduced-fat, but do not use nonfat)
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan with about an inch of water.
- Cover and steam over moderate heat for 4-5 minutes or until all are lightly cooked.
- Sprinkle in the flour; stir until well blended; then sprinkle in the cheese, about half at a time, and melt slowly, stirring.
- Once the cheese is smoothly melted, slowly stir in the beer, pouring in a little at a time.
- Stir in the spices and cook over very low heat for another 2 minutes.
- Toast 8 slices bread; arrange 2 slices on each plate then distribute the cheese sauce over them and serve at once, open-faced.