This recipe is the inspiration of Chef Tower - from the time spent cooking with culinary genius Richard Olney in France. "No better appreciation of vegetables can be found than in Olney's book Simple French Food," Tower says.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups water
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- kosher salt
- 1 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/3-inch sticks
- 1 lb French haricots vert or 1 lb thin green beans
- 6 small zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2-by-1/3-inch strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-by-1/3-inch strips
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 300°.
- 2In an enameled cast-iron casserole, bring water to a boil with the tarragon and thyme sprigs and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- 3Add pearl onions, cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer onions to a large shallow baking dish.
- 4Add carrots to the simmering water, cover and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to the shallow dish.
- 5Repeat with the haricots verts (about 4 minutes) followed by the zucchini (about 3 minutes), and, finally, the red and yellow peppers (about 3 minutes). Cover the vegetables with foil and keep warm in the oven.
- 6Boil the vegetable cooking liquid over high heat for about 5 minutes, until it is reduced to one cup. Remove from heat and whisk in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir in minced tarragon, parsley, chives and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- 7Pour sauce over vegetables, toss and serve.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Ragout With Fresh Herbs
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.1
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 24.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: