These are a breakfast option in the South Beach Diet (phase 1). They can be eaten hot or cold and can also be frozen. These make a handy and healthy snack to take to work too.
- 3⁄4 cup pasteurized liquid egg-whites or 3⁄4 cup egg white substitute or 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup diced red peppers or 1⁄4 cup green pepper (or mixture of both)
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- Tabasco sauce or other hot pepper sauce, if desired,to taste
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with foil baking cups, spray the cups with cooking spray.
- Thaw and drain spinach, wring it out well by hand.
- Mix the spinach, egg whites or substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, hot pepper sauce and salt in a bowl.
- Fill the foil cups with the mixture.
- Bake at 350F or 20 minutes, testing so that a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from cups to serve.