Recipe by dale!
These are a breakfast option in the South Beach Diet (phase 1). They can be eaten hot or cold and can also be frozen. These make a handy and healthy snack to take to work too.
Top Review by HocoRuco
I can't believe I haven't rated this yet! I've made this probably a dozen times because my family loves them so much. They're really great and lend themselves quite easily to modifications. I always include the frozen spinach but have also used caramelized onions, chopped mushrooms, Parmesan cheese and goat cheese. Even when I feel like I am way overdoing the cheese and other less healthy (compared to veggies) items, the calorie count still only comes out to about 70 or so which is awesome.
We ate these stuffed inside of freshly baked popovers last weekend and they were a fantastic 150 calorie breakfast.
- 3⁄4 cup pasteurized liquid egg-whites or 3⁄4 cup egg white substitute or 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup diced red peppers or 1⁄4 cup green pepper (or mixture of both)
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- Tabasco sauce or other hot pepper sauce, if desired,to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350F.
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with foil baking cups, spray the cups with cooking spray.
- Thaw and drain spinach, wring it out well by hand.
- Mix the spinach, egg whites or substitute, cheese, peppers, onions, hot pepper sauce and salt in a bowl.
- Fill the foil cups with the mixture.
- Bake at 350F or 20 minutes, testing so that a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from cups to serve.