Recipe by Dixie from Kansas
This is a recipe from a recent traditional Indian cooking class I attended. It is ohh so good!
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 lb frozen peas
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 -3 red chilies
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into small pieces
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- soak rice for 1/2 hour and drain completely.
- Heat oil and ghee in pan.
- add sugar to hot oil.
- add onion and cook until tender.
- add bay leaves and red chilis cook 2 minutes.
- add cardamon, cinnamon, cloves and ginger fry for 2 more minutes.
- and vegetables and salt cook until vegetables are about half cooked then add rice and fry until slightly brown.
- put rice mixture into rice cooker and add enought water to cover, cook and serve hot.