Good vegan holiday or potluck dish. My favorite recipe from my friends the Farley's. I would always request this dish when we would get together and I'm so happy to have the recipe! Always got rave reviews at potlucks we'd attend when my friends brought this dish. Enjoy!
- 2 cups potatoes, diced small
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, diced small
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 16 ounces frozen peas (can use green beans instead if you prefer)
- 1 cup seitan (gluten steaks or any other kind of mock meat can be used. My favorite is Worthington FriChik, but I ) or 1 cup textured vegetable protein (my favorite is Worthington FriChik, but I believe it has egg in it so its not vegan only vegetarian)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups soymilk
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Steam potatoes, carrots, and onion until tender.
- Add vegetable protein and peas. Mix lightly.
- Place this mixture in a casserole dish and set aside.
- Combine Cream Sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour Cream Sauce ingredients into a saucepan and cook on low to medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Pour Cream Sauce over vegetables in casserole dish.
- Start pie crust by mixing whole wheat flour, unbleached white flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Blend together oil and water and then add this liquid mixture to the dry mixture (flours and salt). Stir.
- Roll out between two sheets of wax paper.
- Cover vegetables and cream sauce in casserole dish with pie crust.
- Bake in the oven, 424-450 degrees F, for 20 minutes or until nicely browned.