Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
Good vegan holiday or potluck dish. My favorite recipe from my friends the Farley's. I would always request this dish when we would get together and I'm so happy to have the recipe! Always got rave reviews at potlucks we'd attend when my friends brought this dish. Enjoy!
- 2 cups potatoes, diced small
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, diced small
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 16 ounces frozen peas (can use green beans instead if you prefer)
- 1 cup seitan (gluten steaks or any other kind of mock meat can be used. My favorite is Worthington FriChik, but I ) or 1 cup textured vegetable protein (my favorite is Worthington FriChik, but I believe it has egg in it so its not vegan only vegetarian)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups soymilk
- 2 teaspoons vegetable stock
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Steam potatoes, carrots, and onion until tender.
- Add vegetable protein and peas. Mix lightly.
- Place this mixture in a casserole dish and set aside.
- Combine Cream Sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour Cream Sauce ingredients into a saucepan and cook on low to medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Pour Cream Sauce over vegetables in casserole dish.
- Start pie crust by mixing whole wheat flour, unbleached white flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Blend together oil and water and then add this liquid mixture to the dry mixture (flours and salt). Stir.
- Roll out between two sheets of wax paper.
- Cover vegetables and cream sauce in casserole dish with pie crust.
- Bake in the oven, 424-450 degrees F, for 20 minutes or until nicely browned.
This was excellent! I loved the flavors! The crust is enough for a top and a bottom. So as written it makes a thick top crust (nothing wrong with that, just be aware). However, I think 1/2 c of oil is too much, I'm going to cut it down to 1/4 next time and see how that goes.
really great! i made 2 so i could have something to take home for thanksgiving and be able to enjoy the meal. i'm eating the first one now and expect it might be gone before thanksgiving! thanks so much! *i accidentally left out the TVP but it was still great. also on one of them i put down a layer of crust at the bottom to really give it that pie effect.
I made this for my vegetarian stepdaughters and partners. They really enjoyed it and I have had requests to make more.