Recipe by FrVanilla
I wouldn't call this lasagna, but I kept the recipes original name. It is low in fat and calories. From New Dieter's Cookbook. Polenta must cool for 1 hour. I like my veggies more crisp, so I barely cook them before adding them on top of the polenta. Great with a salad.
Top Review by Spencer #2
This was excellent. Keep in mind you can adjust the vegetables on top to suit your preferences. We omitted the mushrooms, peppers and onions. Instead we used shredded carrots, broccoli florets, tomato confit and diced winter squash. It was colorful, beautiful and delicious. Next time, I might make a little less polenta, as the bottom layer seemed a little thick. I will definitely make again.
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 medium red sweet peppers or 6 medium yellow sweet peppers, roasted and cut into thin strips
- 1 1⁄4 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For polenta, in a medium saucepan bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil. In a medium bowl combine the cornmeal, 1 1/2 cups water and the 1 tsp salt. Slowly add cornmeal mixture to boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture returns to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cook about 10 minutes or until very thick. Pour into a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Cool slightly. Cover and chill about 1 hour.
- in large nonstick skillet cook onion in hot oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Remove from heat, stir in roasted sweet peppers.
- Spread the marinara sauce over chilled polenta. Top with the vegetable mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake, covered, in a 350 oven for 30 minutes. Uncover, bake for 10-15 minutes more or until edges are bubbly. Garnish with basil, if desired.
- *To roast peppers, quarter lengthwise; remove stems, seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut side down, on a foil lined baking sheet. Roast at 450 for 15-20 minutes or until skins are blistered and bubbly. Seal foil around peppers to form a packet. Let stand for 20 minutes. Peel peppers.