Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick, easy and tasty supper.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods, split
- 75 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 100 g basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 350 ml boiling water
- 50 g frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sliced almonds
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a pan. Add cinnamon and cardamom and fry for 1 - 2 mins until they become aromatic.
- Add mushrooms and fry for another 4 mins until light brown. Stir in rice, garlic, garam masala and water. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add peas and sultanas and stir through. Add turmeric and stir. Cook for 5 mins and discard the cinnamon and cardamom shells.
- Heat the remaining oil and fry the onions until crispy.
- Serve the rice topped with the onions and flaked almonds.