Recipe by Roqxie
Quinoa (KEEN-wah) is a high-protein grain that can be found in the grains or healthy foods section of most grocery stores. Hint: It can taste bitter if not thoroughly rinsed.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) package frozen peas and carrots
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion, and garlic and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often, or until softened, but not browned.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the rinsed quinoa, bay leaf, salt and pepper, as desired. Reduce to a simmer and cover tightly; cook for 10 minutes. Add peas and carrots, cover again and cook another 5 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, mixing the vegetables into the quinoa. Adjust the seasonings and remove the bay leaf before serving.