Top Review by Ginger Rose
This pie was wonderful - it reminded me a bit of a large uncovered samosa! I got slitghly confused about rolling out the dough though - 4" seemed very small so I rolled it out to fit a 10" fluted pan. I also only had red chilies so I just used one or else it would have been too spicy for us. Great recipe!
- 2 cups plain flour (maida)
- 100 g chilled butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- chilled water
- 2 cups chopped vegetables (of your choice, eg. potatoes, peas, beans, cauliflower, spinach, etc. All or any of these)
- 2 onions
- 1 tomatoes
- 2 green chilies
- 1⁄2 inch ginger
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
Directions See How It's Made
- Sieve flour and salt together.
- Add chilled butter and mix with a fork till the mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle chilled water over it.
- Mix the dough into a lump.
- Do not over knead.
- Chill the dough for 15 minutes in a plastic bag.
- Roll the dough into a 4" thick round.
- Place over a greased pie plate.
- Prick with a fork all over.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 12 minutes or till light brown.
- Keep aside.
- Filling: Grate tomato, onion and ginger.
- Finely chop green chillies.
- Chop and boil other vegetables.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add the grated vegetables and chillies.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients except cream.
- Cook till the water evaporates and the curry is thick.
- Sprinkle a little cornflour over the crust.
- Pour and spread the filling in the shell.
- Pour cream all over.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes in a pre-heated oven.
- Slice and serve warm.