Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is a favorite in my family and it is a must for all family functions. We call it vegetable "pie" even though it isn't really a pie but more of a casserole. It is an excellent side dish or on it's own as a vegetarian entree.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli (or 2-3 cups chopped & cooked fresh broccoli)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 slices American cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can yams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a skillet on the stove top and saute the chopped onion with the olive oil.
- Add mushrooms for about 1 minute.
- Add broccoli and mix.
- Add beaten egg.
- Pour into a 8"x8" baking dish.
- Lay the slices of cheese on top.
- Mash canned yams, including liquid and cover the entire dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
Although I did leave out the mushrooms when making this recipe, I did use fresh broccoli, & that, in combo with the yams, made for an easy to make, GREAT TASTING, GREAT LOOKING pie (I made it in a pie plate)! This is certainly something I'll be making again ~ Many thanks for the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick A Chef]