An easy vegetarian main course. (Cooking time is how long the roll is in the oven for).
Make and share this Vegetable Phyllo Cracker recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 175 g baby spinach leaves, washed
- 5 -6 basil leaves, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese, cut into small cubes (2oz)
- salt and pepper
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry (about 12x7-inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Prepare the filling; In a large pan, fry the sliced onion in olive oil for 3-4 minutes, add the sliced pepper and continue frying for another couple of minutes before adding the sliced mushrooms.
- Stir and fry for 3 minutes, then add the red pepper flakes, wine, and baby spinach leaves. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, until the spinach has wilted and the liquid has reduced away.
- Take pan off heat and leave to cool, then add the basil strips and the cream cheese, season with salt and pepper.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo pastry onto a work surface and lightly brush with melted butter. Lay another sheet of phyllo on top and brush again with the butter. Do this with all sheets.
- Place the cooled filling along the centre of the phyllo and bring each long side over to form a roll. Tuck ends in and turn the roll over, so the seam side goes underneath, place onto a baking sheet. Brush the top with melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place into a preheated oven, 400ºF and bake for 20 minutes, until pastry is brown and crispy.