Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a kind of vegetable pasta bake with a little bit of a difference. It goes great with steamed vegetables. You can easily double this recipe.
- 100 g pasta shells
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 200 g canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 140 g aubergines, roughly chopped
- 140 g courgettes, roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- 75 ml natural yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente.
- Meanwhile fry the garlic and onion in a frying pan. Add the tomatoes and tomato puree along with the herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Spread half of this mixture into the bottom of an ovenproof dish, top with the aubergine and courgette, then cover with the remaining tomato. Layer the pasta over the top.
- Beat the egg and mix in the yoghurt. Pour this over the top of the pasta.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
This was really good. I was surprised how well the eggplant cooked up from raw to a nice texture/flavor and that the pasta didn't dry out or overcook. It was also worth browning the onions, they definitely enhance the flavor. Thanks for this yummy dish!
Great recipe. Next time I might add some olives for taste, but it's already great!
What a tatsy pasta bake! I used whole wheat pasta, egg beaters (egg whites), and low fat yoghurt to make this a tad bit lighter. Great recipe even with those changes!