Recipe by DaHomeCooker
Nice cold weather comfort food
Top Review by Garlic Chick
I made a variation of this today. Yum! I started by cutting and sauteeing the onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Then added a couple of cloves pressed garlic just before adding the water and bouillon - I used tomato/chicken flavor and skipped the stock. I used the veggies I had around - mini carrots, celery and summer squash. I did not add the squash until I added the pasta. Oh, and I had a few small peppers from a friend's garden - those added some heat! I also had fresh parsley to add with the fresh basil. Even though it's hot, I wanted to clear my fridge of veggies. Thanks for posting - this was a big help and delicious to boot.
- 8 cups water
- 6 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup dried large lima beans, soak over night
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak Lima beans over night to re-hydrate.
- In a large stock pot, add all ingredients except orzo and bring to a medium boil.
- Reduce to a slow simmer for 30 minutes.
- Check flavor and add additional seasonings as desired.
- Add orzo and simmer for an additional 60 minutes.
- Reduce to low and keep warm until serving.