Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This sauces simmers all day to blend the flavours. Dinner can be on the table in no time after a hard day's work. There are so many chunky vegetables in this that the meat lovers won't even miss the meat :) This sauce makes a lot but freezes well. Created for Ready, Set, Cook! Winter 2005.
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (150 g) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine tomatoes, spinach, carrot, onion, mushrooms, celery, water, butter, and milk powder in a blender and blend well.
- Pour into a crock pot and add seasonings, tomato paste, and cheese.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- Serve over your favourite pasta.
Excellent recipe. We enjoyed it very much. I did not thaw the spinach before I stuck it in the food processor. Cooked over a very low heat on the stove for about 3 hours. I did make sure everything was processed pretty well. We still had a few small chunks, but it was great! The kids ate it so well, and the sauce was sweet but still savory as well. Great recipe to sneak some spinach into your kids. Try this! It's good!
We also added too much spinich and left out the blending. During the day various people added there own touch, extra tomato paste, red wine, chilli's etc. When serving we stirred in lite sour cream which neutralised any acidity. Lovely.
I cooked this stove top over a very low heat for 1 hour. Because I`ve had sauces burn in the crock pot if I`m not around to stir them being this is thick I didn`t want that to happen. Our packages of spinach is 284 g so check your labels. Which I didn`t realize till my pot was so green and not eye appealing. I ended up making twice the amount of sauce to compensate for it. The portabellas I removed the gills before adding them because they tend to discolor whatever they are cooked with. This sauce does give the appearence of being a thick chunky meat sauce oppossed to a creamy vege sauce. The texture though was almost airy from the spinach. I would have like the onion, garlic, carrot and mushrooms to be sauteed to bring out thier sweetness. Then added to the sauce. I have a lot of sauce to freeze. Thanks!