Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've had this recipe for ages. I used to make it before I moved overseas. 2 things I always did differently was replace the ricotta with cottage cheese and I used a cast iron skillet as opposed to the springform pan. Goes well with nice tossed salad. Also try using wholemeal flour for pastry... I have done that and it made if very hearty and wholesome--especially if you use wholemeal pasta and stick with low fat cheeses.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 cups rotelle pasta or 2 cups rotini pasta
- 2 medium red peppers
- 2 medium yellow peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce or 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- In medium bowl mix flour and 1/2 tsp salt.
- With pastry blender cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbles with fork stir 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water into flour mixture until dough is just moist enough to hold together shape dough into a ball cover with plastic wrap, place in refrigerator.
- Prepare pasta as label directs, but do not use salt in water; drain.
- Meanwhile, cut red and yellow peppers into 1 inch pieces.
- Chop onion.
- In 12 inch skillet over medium heat in hot olive or salad oil cook onion until tender crisp add red and yellow peppers, basil, black pepper and 1/4 tsp salt and cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender.
- In cup beat egg slightly.
- Reserve 1 Tbls beaten egg; set aside.
- In another medium bowl mix remaining egg with ricotta cheese, spinach, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Grease 9 inch by 2 ½ springform pan, allowing dough to hang over side of pan slightly.
- Sprinkle bottom of crust with half of mozzarella cheese; top with half of sautéed pepper mixture.
- Spread half of ricotta cheese mixture over pepper mixture; top with marinara sauce, then pasta.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over pasta; top with remaining sautéed pepper mixture, then remaining ricotta cheese mixture.
- Roll out remaining dough to 11 inch round; lay dough over filling allowing dough to hang over side of pan.
- Fold overhang in toward center pinching dough all around to make a stand up edge; flute.
- Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Brush the top and edge of crust with reserved egg.
- Bake pie 55 to 60 minutes until crust is golden and filling is hot.
- Allow pie to cool 5 minutes for easier slicing.
- Remove side of springform pan to serve, cut into wedges.
- 1 slice is plenty for one serve.
wheeee!!! incredible!!!! ;) took a long time but: A-MA-ZING! thanks for sharing! andreas