1 hr 45 mins
I've had this recipe for ages. I used to make it before I moved overseas. 2 things I always did differently was replace the ricotta with cottage cheese and I used a cast iron skillet as opposed to the springform pan. Goes well with nice tossed salad. Also try using wholemeal flour for pastry... I have done that and it made if very hearty and wholesome--especially if you use wholemeal pasta and stick with low fat cheeses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups rotelle pasta or 2 cups rotini pasta
- 2 medium red peppers
- 2 medium yellow peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 (15 ounce) container part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce or 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1In medium bowl mix flour and 1/2 tsp salt.
- 2With pastry blender cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbles with fork stir 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water into flour mixture until dough is just moist enough to hold together shape dough into a ball cover with plastic wrap, place in refrigerator.
- 3Prepare pasta as label directs, but do not use salt in water; drain.
- 4Meanwhile, cut red and yellow peppers into 1 inch pieces.
- 5Chop onion.
- 6In 12 inch skillet over medium heat in hot olive or salad oil cook onion until tender crisp add red and yellow peppers, basil, black pepper and 1/4 tsp salt and cook stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender.
- 7In cup beat egg slightly.
- 8Reserve 1 Tbls beaten egg; set aside.
- 9In another medium bowl mix remaining egg with ricotta cheese, spinach, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- 10Preheat oven to 400°F Grease 9 inch by 2 ½ springform pan, allowing dough to hang over side of pan slightly.
- 11Sprinkle bottom of crust with half of mozzarella cheese; top with half of sautéed pepper mixture.
- 12Spread half of ricotta cheese mixture over pepper mixture; top with marinara sauce, then pasta.
- 13Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over pasta; top with remaining sautéed pepper mixture, then remaining ricotta cheese mixture.
- 14Roll out remaining dough to 11 inch round; lay dough over filling allowing dough to hang over side of pan.
- 15Fold overhang in toward center pinching dough all around to make a stand up edge; flute.
- 16Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- 17Brush the top and edge of crust with reserved egg.
- 18Bake pie 55 to 60 minutes until crust is golden and filling is hot.
- 19Allow pie to cool 5 minutes for easier slicing.
- 20Remove side of springform pan to serve, cut into wedges.
- 211 slice is plenty for one serve.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Pasta Pie
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.0
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 80.1 mg
- Sodium 610.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 28.9 g