Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I came up with this dish a long time ago based on a similar dish I had. This is easy to prepare and very tasty.
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese (optional)
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add eggplant, zucchini, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, grease a 2 quart shallow baking dish. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir basil into vegetable mixture. Spoon mixture into casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl mix together tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Pour tomato mixture into casserole, completely covering vegetables. Cover with mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.