Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These wonderful pakoras were served at an Indian themed dinner party.
Make and share this Vegetable Pakoras recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup sweet potato, 1/4 inch diced and peeled
- 1 cup cauliflower, 1/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons mango chutney
- Place the sweet potato in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, curry powder, cumin and salt with a whisk. Combine 1/3 cup water and egg, stirring with a whisk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture stirring until smooth. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, cauliflower, onion, cilantro, garlic and jalapeno pepper to flour mixture. Stir until well combined (batter will be thick).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 tsp oil to pan, swirling to coat. Drop 2 tbsp of batter into pan, and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon. Repeat procedure to make 6 pakoras.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat cooking procedure with remaining 1 1/2 tsp oil and batter. Serve with chutney.
Wow, these taste just like the pakoras that you'd get from a really good Indian restaurant! I would've never guessed that they'd be this easy to make. Thanks for sharing this great recipe- I'll be using it a lot whenever I make Indian food.
This is fabulous! I followed the recipe completely and had absolutely no problems. Somewhat similar to potato pancakes, but much tastier and so much more interesting. I used a very good quality curry mix by mistake (it has bits of saffron), and after tasting these fabulous pancakes, I was glad I used it. Thank you so much for posting this Celticevergreen!