Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love this dish! And that's saying a lot since there is no meat in it :) Makes a hearty meal. Original recipe found in "Land O Lakes Occasionally Vegetarian Recipe Collection". Even though it's from Land O Lakes, don't look for butter in this recipe - it's not there
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup eggplant (1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup zucchini (1 inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In Dutch oven combine oil, onion, red pepper and garlic.
- Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until onion and pepper are softened (5 minutes).
- Add rice.
- Continue cooking 1 minute, stirring constantly, to coat with oil.
- Add tomatoes, broth, carrots and paprika.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover; reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook 10 minutes, stirring once.
- Add artichoke hearts, eggplant and zucchini.
- Continue cooking, stirring once, until broth is almost absorbed (10 to 12 minutes).
- Add peas and parsley.
- Continue cooking until heated through (3 to 4 minutes).
It was very good, but I think it needed more of a kick, more spice. I added some banana peppers to make it hotter, but it only added to the flavor, which ended up wonderfully. Next time I make it, I will perhaps add some hot sauce, too. :)
This was delicious! I made it for a small group that came over to my house for Bible study, and they are all DEFINATELY meat eaters, but they raved about this meal anyway. I did do some changes tho. I used brown rice, which made it take longer to cook. I also added about a teaspoon each of chili powder, cumin, basil, and marjoram at the point where you add the paprika. I also added some Kale near the beginning. I am already planning to make this again soon. Thanks for the yummy recipe! ~Lacy
This is great! I didnt use eggplant or carrots but I added asparagus and brocolli. I put the asparagus in where the carrots are and the brocolli was frozen so I added it with the peas. If you like it spicy as my bf and I do then add red pepper flakes at the end. This is a great meal. Oh, I have made this twice, once with shrimp and once with chicken. Precooked shrimp go in just after the frozen peas. Chicken same when cooked