Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A lovely vegetarian version of a classic Spanish dish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups short-grain rice, such as Valencia or 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green beans
- 1⁄2 cup fresh asparagus tips
- 1 medium ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 artichoke hearts, quartered
- cooked green peas (for garnish)
- pimiento, slices (for garnish)
- In small cup, mix saffron threads with 1 tablespoons water and set aside.
- In large skillet or wide-bottom stockpot, heat olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic, and red and green bell peppers.
- Sauté 2 minutes.
- Stir in rice and sauté another minute or until rice grains are well coated in oil.
- Add water and bring to boil over high heat, then immediately reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in saffron-and-water mixture, tomato paste, salt, paprika, black pepper, and oregano, followed by peas, beans, asparagus tips, and tomato.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 15 minutes.
- Stir in artichoke hearts and set heat to low-medium.
- Cover and cook another 15 minutes or until rice grains are fluffy.
I chose this recipe for ZWT3- the freezer pleasers! Great recipe, it has great flavor, a wonderful mix of vegetables and spices. I chose to leave out the aspargus tips (i am not fan of this vegetable) what I liked about this recipe is that it is versatile, you can leave out or add vegetables that please your palette. Oh yeah, it freezes very well too! Thanks Miss Erin!