Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe source: Redbook (January 2010)
Make and share this Vegetable Pad Thai recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb rice stick noodles
- 1⁄2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 limes (1 juiced and 1 cut into wedges)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 3⁄4 lb mustard greens, stems discarded and leaves torn into samll pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- bean sprouts (optional)
- 2 cups cilantro
- peanuts, optional garnish
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil and add noodles, stir and then cover and remove from heat. Let stand 4-5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a small cup combine chili sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce and lime juice.
- In a large skillet heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat. Stir in garlic and ginger and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in greens and cover for 2 - 5 minutes or until wilted.
- Stir in bell pepper, carrots and scallions and stir fry for 3-5 minutes or until crisp tender. Remove vegetables to a bowl.
- Return skillet to heat and add remaining oil. When hot add eggs and scramble them until set. Add to bowl with the vegetables.
- Return skillet to heat and add chili sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Stir in noodles and cook, tossing occasionally for 1 minute.
- Return vegetables and egg to skillet and cook tossing for 3-5 minutes or until hot. Stir in bean sprouts, if desired.
- Transfer to serving bowl and stir in cilantro. Top with peanuts if desired and serve with lime wedges.
Very easy version of Pad Thai. I left out the egg & fish sauce to keep it vegan, but otherwise made as written (except spinach for mustard greens). Lots of flavour, I found the lime really came through and the method for cooking the rice noodles was perfect.
This was a really good noodle dish. I used just a half tablespoon of the oil, and skipped the egg for our tastes. I used cilantro for me and basil for DH. I loved the flavor the greens brought to the dish, and that they were different from the usual veggies in this kind of recipe.
Wonderful dish! The veggies are great and the sauce really brings it all together. Thanks for sharing! Made for Adopt a Veggie Tag