1/1 Photo of Vegetable Packed Chowder
Developed for Crazee-E Contest. This is a hardy, vegetable packed chowder that is sure to please. The poblano chili adds a nice smokiness. Serve this with crusty bread for a delicious 1 pot meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 poblano chiles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 ears corn or 2 cups corn kernels
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, scrubbed, diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 red potatoes, scrubbed, diced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup cream
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 mustard greens, small bunch washed
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- 1Wash the chilies, cut in half and remove the seeds. Place under broiler and broil until skin blackness. Place in a bowl, cover and allow to cool. Once cool, remove the blacked skin and dice the peppers.
- 2In a dutch oven cook the bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.Add in corn and cook until over medium low heat until corn begins to have some color. It may be necessary to add in a touch of olive oil for the corn to cook properly. Remove corn, set aside.
- 3To the same pot add a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter. Whisk until butter is melted. Stir in yellow onion, garlic, celery and carrot. Saute for 2 minutes or until onion begins to lightly brown. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon flour and stir until well combined. Add the potatoes and stock to the pan. Cover and cook until potatoes are barely tender.
- 4Reserve 1/2 cup of corn and add in remainder. Put the milk and reserved corn to a blender container and puree until smooth. Add to the chowder and bring to a simmer.
- 5Remove the tough steams and tear the leaves of the greens. Run a knife through them to coarsely chop. You should have approximately 3 cups of lightly packed greens. Add the greens, sugar and a small touch of nutmeg and cook the greens until wilted and a bright green. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- 6Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with reserved bacon bits.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetable Packed Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (295 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.9
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 16.1 mg
- Sodium 107.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 10.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: