Recipe by Jeri Roth Lande
This tastes like a vegetarian stuffing, but has protein. You can easily double the recipe. It's inspired by a couple different recipes I saw on allrecipes.com, but then changed drastically. Note - It's vegetarian, parve and pesadik.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (or more fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (or more fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 3 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Saute the onion a few minutes in olive oil (use more if needed) in large pot.
- Add and continue cooking the garlic, vegetables and spices.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the walnuts, matzo meal (could probably substitute dry bread crumbs or cracker crumbs) and eggs.
- Pour the mixture into an 8x8 inch Pam’d or greased casserole.
- Bake at 350 until firm (around 30 min).