Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the cookbook Recipes with a Spice - Indian Cuisine for Balanced Nutrition. Use your choice of vegetables and herbs, onions, garlic, cauliflower, broccoli, in this popular soup. Serve with crackers or bread sticks.
- 1⁄2 cup red lentils or 1⁄2 cup yellow lentils
- 1 cup pasta noodles
- 1 (11 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 1⁄2 chopped tomato
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 4 sprigs dill
- 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese
- Rinse the lentils.
- In a 3 quart pot, boil lentils in 4 cups water.
- Reduce heat and let them simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the noodles and cook, on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until little soft.
- Add the Cream of Mushroom soup, mushrooms, and carrots (or any other vegetables).
- Keep stirring, making sure it does not boil over.
- Stir in the tomato puree.
- Add more water if needed.
- Reduce the heat, maintaining gentle boil for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Turn off the heat.
- Stir in chopped tomato, parsley and dill.
- Garnish with cheese, if desired, and serve hot.
- Healthy Alternative: May also stir in 2 tablespoons of Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP).
good but needed veggie broth