Recipe by chia
from the NY Times, this is very similar to the vegetable soup my own grandmother used to make. she always used dry mushrooms.
Top Review by Annacia
I made 2 servings using 2 large dried mushrooms (which I soaked in very hot water for 1 hr and then sliced before adding to soup) and veggie stock and the mushroom soaking water in place of the water. I added the onion with the other veggies and saved the butter and flour calories. Very light and with a good flavor. This soup and a toasted fat free cheese sandwich just hit the spot tonight.
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 118.29 ml chopped parsley
- 3 stalk celery, diced
- 1892.72 ml water
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4-5 dried mushrooms or 8-10 fresh chanterelle mushrooms or 8-10 shiitake mushrooms
- 14.79 ml butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 44.37 ml flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes, carrots, parsley and celery in a soup pot.
- Cover with about 8 cups water.
- Add salt, pepper and mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, half covered, for 1 hour.
- When soup is almost done, melt butter in a small frying pan.
- Add onions and sauté until transparent.
- Add flour and stir until flour is brown, 5 minutes.
- Stir into soup and serve.