Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
A brilliant do-ahead picnic bread. Italian inspired. You can add meats of your choice -we serve it vegetables only with cheese.
Top Review by Sharon123
This was the perfect lunch for my DD and I. She was almost out the door to go to work, and I offered her this. She removed the tomatoes, added some turkey ham and said it was just right! I did use sub rolls instead of the round loaf, and iceberg lettuce instead of the rocket. Thank you so mush Wendy!
- 20 cm round loaf white bread
- 150 g green olives, pitted
- 150 g black olives, pitted
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄4 cup oregano leaves
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded
- 40 ml lemon juice
- 100 ml olive oil
- black pepper
- 140 g fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 100 g baby rocket
- 150 g coarsley chopped tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Split bread horizontally and remove bread from the inside leaving the crust.
- Brush inside with olive oil and set aside.
- Place olive, garlic, parsley, oregano, capsicum and lemon juice in porcessor and process until smooth paste.
- The add some olive oil.
- Season with pepper.
- Spread half this olive tapenade on the base of bread crust.
- Layer it with cheese, rocket, tomatoes and finish with rocket and with the remaining tapenade.
- Cover top of bread and wrap in plastic.
- Place on a plate and weigh down with another plate and some tines of food.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- To serve, unwrap and cut in wedges.