Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A brilliant do-ahead picnic bread. Italian inspired. You can add meats of your choice -we serve it vegetables only with cheese.
- 20 cm round loaf white bread
- 150 g green olives, pitted
- 150 g black olives, pitted
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄4 cup oregano leaves
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded
- 40 ml lemon juice
- 100 ml olive oil
- black pepper
- 140 g fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 100 g baby rocket
- 150 g coarsley chopped tomatoes
- Split bread horizontally and remove bread from the inside leaving the crust.
- Brush inside with olive oil and set aside.
- Place olive, garlic, parsley, oregano, capsicum and lemon juice in porcessor and process until smooth paste.
- The add some olive oil.
- Season with pepper.
- Spread half this olive tapenade on the base of bread crust.
- Layer it with cheese, rocket, tomatoes and finish with rocket and with the remaining tapenade.
- Cover top of bread and wrap in plastic.
- Place on a plate and weigh down with another plate and some tines of food.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- To serve, unwrap and cut in wedges.
This was the perfect lunch for my DD and I. She was almost out the door to go to work, and I offered her this. She removed the tomatoes, added some turkey ham and said it was just right! I did use sub rolls instead of the round loaf, and iceberg lettuce instead of the rocket. Thank you so mush Wendy!