Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Vegetable momos are unusual in Tibet. However, this recipe was developed at one of thr Tibetan farming settlements in south India, where meat is an expensive luxury. Recipe from the Lhasa Moon Tibetan Cookbook.
- 1⁄2 bunch celery
- 1⁄2 cabbage
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, large, yellow, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger, fresh, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, Sichuan ground
- 10 mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Chop the celery, cabbage, spinach, and green onion finely and by hand; it is important to chop the vegetables by hand: because a food processor will make them mushy and the juices will be lost in cooking.
- Saute the onion in oil until brown and then add the garlic, ginger, paprika, Sichuan pepper, and mint; cook the spices briefly, then remove from the heat and add the soy sauce and salt.
- Add the cooked mixture to the raw chopped vegetables, toss lightly with your hands to mix all together.
- Fill the momos and steam for 5-7 minutes.