Recipe by ladybug810
This is my sister's recipe, but I have to share it because it's so good! A great vegetarian recipe that's healthy too. The recipe would be vegan if you use eggless pasta and omit the Parmesan cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 2 medium red potatoes, chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 5 -6 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄4 cup orzo pasta or 1⁄4 cup other small shell pasta
- 2 -4 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.
- Add carrots and potatoes and stir for a few minutes.
- Add broth, spices, and sugar, and simmer until the vegetables are almost tender.
- Add tomatoes, beans, spinach, pasta, water, salt and pepper. Continue simmering until everything is warm and pasta is cooked.
- Dissolve cornstarch in a little cold water, add to the soup, and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, remove from heat. Sprinkle with Parmesan just before serving.