Recipe by SmHerndon
The sauce makes this recipe Outta This World! Very elegant and not very time consuming. This really is a wonderfully delicious dish. I think I will make it tonight! (It's easier to make than it looks, and you can serve with regular White Sauce, omitting the cheddar cheese.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots (5 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion (1 medium)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen leaf spinach, cooked & well drained
- 1⁄2 cup buttered soft breadcrumbs
Cheese Sauce with Medium White Sauce use 1/2 cup (#111645)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 dash white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Start spinach cooking in microwave.
- In saucepan combine onions and carrots, cooking covered in small amount of boiling salted water until almost tender- 10 to 15 min; drain.
- While this is cooking you should make the white sauce, see below.
- When vegetables and sauce are done, alternate layers of hot, well-drained vegetables and sauce in 1-quart casserole; sprinkle with crumbs.
- Bake at 350* for about 20 minutes.
- Cheese Sauce with Medium White Sauce: Melt butter in sauce pan over low heat, blend in flour, salt and dash white pepper (black is fine).
- Add milk all at once, cooking quickly, stirring constantly until mixture bubbles and thickens, and add 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese.