Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
The sauce makes this recipe Outta This World! Very elegant and not very time consuming. This really is a wonderfully delicious dish. I think I will make it tonight! (It's easier to make than it looks, and you can serve with regular White Sauce, omitting the cheddar cheese.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots (5 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion (1 medium)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen leaf spinach, cooked & well drained
- 1⁄2 cup buttered soft breadcrumbs
Cheese Sauce with Medium White Sauce use 1/2 cup (#111645)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 dash white pepper
- Start spinach cooking in microwave.
- In saucepan combine onions and carrots, cooking covered in small amount of boiling salted water until almost tender- 10 to 15 min; drain.
- While this is cooking you should make the white sauce, see below.
- When vegetables and sauce are done, alternate layers of hot, well-drained vegetables and sauce in 1-quart casserole; sprinkle with crumbs.
- Bake at 350* for about 20 minutes.
- Cheese Sauce with Medium White Sauce: Melt butter in sauce pan over low heat, blend in flour, salt and dash white pepper (black is fine).
- Add milk all at once, cooking quickly, stirring constantly until mixture bubbles and thickens, and add 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese.
This was such an easy recipe to follow, my family loved it (even my usually picky three year old).
This was different, but very good. Nice presentation. The sauce was easy to make and it's pretty cheesy. I served it with turkey (#77861) and went together great. My family will have it again.